Looking back at the preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full potential?
I would also like to add, a few other aspects that I feel I greatly improved upon. One of theses was blogging everything that I did; in the preliminary I feel as though i could have added more to blog which I now believe would have helped us greatly, for instance doing more extensive research, such as filming schedules, production logs and overall quality of the blog posts i.e. in depth detail, more picture etc. As I was spending far more time researching and analyzing our inspirations, I fell as though gained a greater understanding of the genre and it greatly affected the quality of our product.
Also we took greater care in our filming schedule and our time management, something we did not do in the preliminary task. In the preliminary we spent a lot of time planning (without adding a significant amount of it to our blog), and even changed our idea quite significantly with only a week or two to go. This left us a limited time, and we filmed the whole sequence in one evening, therefore, we didn’t have anytime to re take shots we didn’t like, which luckily wasn’t necessary. Whereas with our main task, we made sure we had everything fully prepared and then spent a whole day filming, but we spent so much time and attention to detail that we did not finish all of the scenes and, we actually needed to shoot one more sequence, but due to us being far more organized we had plenty of time left, and finished the whole project a week before it was due in.
If the writing is unclear in the mind map, here is what I have written:
Looking back at the our Preliminary task, I feel I have learnt so many new things that have had a positive impact on our main task, for example, lighting, new camera angles and movements, editing colour schemes, editing movements etc.
I think the most important thing I feel we have improved upon from the preliminary is the camera movements, looking back the camera angles are very central and very bland, whereas in our opening sequence there are several different types of angles, that also help portray the character in different ways, for example we have quite a lot of high angle shots on the detective making him seem powerless as he can’t seem to work out who the murderer is, and also for the victims we have used close ups to emphasize their vulnerability and powerlessness against the murderer. In addition we added far more movement. Although, when we initially filmed the sequence we only filmed a couple shots which had movement, like our Preliminary task, but upon review we believed there wasn’t enough movement which made the sequence feel very still, therefore we decided to film a few sequences again. These shots were when the detective was interviewing a potential suspect and we circled round to make the scene (even though it wasn’t) dragged out, emphasizing how the detective is feeling. These were all very important for us as it added a different dimension to our sequence making it more varied and interesting, differing it from our preliminary task.
In our opening sequence we also added several new editing techniques to give it a more eerie, unpredictable and disturbed sense to it as, unlike in the preliminary we change the colour schemes as I have previously said. Other editing techniques we used included were flashes, transitions and titles, which all previously had not featured on our preliminary. I certainly feel that my editing skills improved greatly, as were able to implement the credits smoothly in to the shots without drawing to much attention but without being missed entirely, the best case was our ending shot, where the murderer walks through a tunnel and the film title appears behind him in a typewriter format so every step he took a new letter would appear. These were so effective as it made our sequence not only seem to add very good smooth effects and flow far more but also gave it more professional look, which of course is very important.
Overall I believe that our preliminary was instrumental in the success and creativity in our opening sequence which I am very proud of.